Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bug Detectors

Return to spyville.com

Bug detectors are basically RF (radio frequency) finders. Bug detectors will respond to any wireless device within it range. This make searching for a bug difficult.

Lets first look at what ranges Bug detectors cover. Many detectors cover from 50MHz - 6.0GHz. This covers the normal frequencies that wireless devices use.
50 MHZ (megahertz) is the low end of the scale this is where you will find most voice transmitters. As you move up the scale to the GHZ (gigahertz) you get into the wireless camera frequencies.
MHz and GHz are just frequency denominators IE: 1000 MHZ is equal to 1 GHZ so a 2.4 GIG camera can also be considered to be a 2400 MHZ and a 5.8 GHZ can be a 5800 MHZ.
This is not to be confused with say a 10 meter radio that runs around 29.0 (lower than the range) or 27.0 (cb radio).

Between 50 and 6000 MHz are where most spy devices are located. The federal government uses between 406- 420 MHZ ( approx).

The process for locating bugs is simple but time consuming. You need to be aware of all the wireless devices you possess. This can include but is not limited to,
Baby monitors 900 - 1200 MHZ (many others)
Wireless Routers 802.11 -(close to 2.4 GHZ)
Cordless phones 5.8-6 GHZ
Some Cell Phones (approx) 900MHz
Wireless Keyboards and Mice
Wireless speakers
There are many other wireless devices that can set off a bug detector so everything that you know to be wireless needs to be turned off, so you can avoid false signals. Other things to keep in mind are that your neighbours may have wireless devices such as routers and cordless phones.

So to start the process turn off everything that you know is wireless. The simple conclusion here is that what ever else you find is a bug or a wireless camera but that is not always true. You need to take interference into account. There is RF every where and our bug detectors are sensitive enough to pick it up.

How do you know if you find a bug? Well if you cant use the sensitivity setting on a detector to tune out the alarm . Then you start looking for devices. Bug detectors will not just light up and point to the bug it is a process. If you get a reading from a solid wall go to the other side of that wall and make sure that ther are no other wireless devices.

Remember that who ever put the bug is had to have access for a certain amount of time, you must take into account wether they had time to open a wall and then repair it so well that you cant tell. Look for more obvious places like in or around cluttered areas or under furniture. that is a much more likely location.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bug detectors don’t really have to be as expensive as you might think. In fact, they have become so affordable now that they are being used for some personal purposes too.

And in any case, they would still be worth the investment, as they would save you from the risk of letting business deals go through without proper precautions, and end up losing large amounts, or from getting yourself exposed to potential industrial espionage, or on a personal level, from the risk of losing your loved one because of a secret affair. Bug sweeping and miniaturized bug detection for privacy and personal security

Anonymous said...

Could anyone tell me, does it beep louder as you locate the device. I know there is one in my room and I just cannot locate it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I received my Suresafe RF Signal Detector and I had a few questions about it. First off, I've been married for 6 months and my husband knows everywhere I am, everything I say and I've suspected cell phone snooping. I don't deserve this and need help. I'm wondering if you turn the sensitivity up on high with this device, does it still beep and light up to level 3 or does it only do that if something is in the area that it is detecting? If it is on high, how far away does it detect? Also, what about a satellite signal, will that set it off? I am desperate for answers, I'm beginning to feel like I'm crazy. I could understand if I was doing something wrong but to have this going on for no reason is really unfair and controlling.

I gave him my cellphone back and now my daughter's phone would go set it off from time to time but now it's going off like crazy. I try to power her phone off and it turns itself back on. I am begging for help and advice.

Thanks,
B

Anonymous said...

I think bug detectors are invaluable tool that people should have today. Spy Tools such as hidden surveillance technology has grown in popularity and technological innovations have made covert surveillance practically impossible to detect. Nowadays, security cameras are almost everywhere that it is practically impossible not being caught by CCTV surveillance cameras. Almost all business establishments have a sort of hidden surveillance system which poses a constant threat of your privacy being invaded. But what is really dangerous is when the supposedly security cameras are used by scrupulous people just waiting to catch you unaware and then devour you at your most weakest moment. Some can actually abuse the use of hidden camera for voyeuristic fun.

Mike Braddock said...

I'm still waiting for the bug detector sunglasses that alert you every time you walk into a cameras view. Of course until then, a camera hunter that shows you the camera's recording on a viewscreen is the best type of camera detector.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys all of this seems like science fiction to me, I have a feeling I am being watched, while I tutor a student. I can't blame the parents for protecting their children. However, I find this very strange and I am becoming increasingly paranoid that the cameras may not be for the kids protection but a tool to watch my every move. Also the man is an I.T. pro. Any suggestions on a bug finder? Finally I have a suspicious feeling that someone is stealing my prescriptions I need help and answers to decide what route I shall follow.
Thank you for allowing me to post here!
SAFETY FIRST

Camera detectors said...

It is a very informative article abut bug fixing.Surveillance devices are now used at various places.As their sizes are very small,it is not easy to detect them.It can be very useful to have bug detectors and camera detectors.